Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our Birth Story and the End of a Blog

Brooklyn is three weeks old today!  She was born on Sunday, July 31st, at 11:23 p.m. and we couldn't be more in love!

Contractions started just before 4 a.m. and about 7:30 a.m., when they were still going, we decided this must be the real thing and Kelly started calling around to find someone to come in for work. Because, of course, I would go into labor not only on a day that Kelly worked, but also right when he was scheduled to leave for work so that he'd have to find a substitute to come in and cover for him near the beginning of his shift.  He finally was able to leave work at 9 a.m. and we got to the hospital at about 11:30 a.m. When we checked in, we were dilated to 4 cm. so they kept us! My water hadn't broken yet and they wanted us to get up to at least 5 cm. before they gave me my epidural so they had us walk the halls for awhile. I toughed it out and they finally checked again at 4 p.m. and we were up to 5 cm! The doctor came in, broke my water, and called the nurse anesthetist to get my epidural. Plus, they started Pitocin to help speed things up since my contractions had started to slow down. The epidural was AWESOME . . . while it lasted. There ended up being a kink in the line so I only got the initial dosage and not the continual drip. About 5:30 I started feeling pain again and by 6:30 I was BEGGING them to up the dosage. The contractions were far more painful at this point than they had been when I initially had gotten the epidural. He did come up the dose, but because of the kink in the line, I wasn't getting it anyways so I was stuck with the pain. At 8:45, the doctor checked me again and we were up to 9 cm and, at 10 pm, we were ready to start pushing! My body's natural response to pain is to puke, so just before 10 p.m. I ended up throwing up twice. At 10 p.m., we started pushing and, after vomiting twice more and nearly an hour and a half of pushing, Brooklyn Leah Harper Olson arrived at 11:23 p.m.! I ended up with one second-degree tear that required four stitches and one first-degree tear that didn't get any stitches. She was 7 lbs., 12.7 oz. and 19 inches long and has bright red hair! I'm not quite sure where the red hair came from considering that Kelly and I are both brunettes, but she sure is cute! =] She was only 37 minutes away from being born in an entirely different month!

She had many visitors the night she was born!  As soon as the nurses would let our family in, they were there!  Grandma Gail, Grandpa Bruce, Uncle Arik, Uncle Arik's friend Skyler, Aunt Brianna, Grandma Nancy S., Aunt Angie, and Grandma Nancy O. were all there!  Throughout the hospital stay, Uncle Tommy, Great Aunt Carol, Second Cousin Bailey, Great Grandma Pauline, and Uncle Travis all came to visit as well.















We were able to leave the hospital on the morning of Wednesday, July 3rd and I'm cherishing every second that we have with this amazing little girl.  We couldn't be more in love.

And I suppose that was officially the end of our miracle pregnancy and now we have a miracle baby girl. =] So, now we switch blogs as well.  I loved being pregnant and wouldn't trade a second of it.  I hope, one day, I am blessed enough to have the opportunity to experience pregnancy again.  Hopefully not for awhile though, because we want to enjoy every second of Brooklyn's first few years without having to divide our attention.  From here on out, I will be switching to a new blog to document the adventures of the entire Olson family!

No comments:

Post a Comment